Wednesday, July 13, 2005

More Silent than Protest

I like my pub, it’s just round the corner from my place, it’s relatively quite and there is plenty of talent behind the bar. It’s a great place to sit and read a book, have a quite schooner or three and smoke a few cigarettes. Well that was until the advent of anti-smoking laws in New South Wales.

Being generally apolitical I thought I would try and summon up some kind of Gandhiesque power of political persuasion and just not go … that’ll learn’em. Well the days past and I peered into my now near empty watering hole, the pretty barmaids with their stoic, life will go on without that guy sat on his pat in the corner faces on. One could tell, I was going to bring this NSW government to its knees.

Finally, to break the stalemate that had formed between me and my beloved I ventured back in and to my utter amazement ……. Nothing, no one knew of this power struggle the human suffering ….. I guess it was only 8 days … to quote that great philosopher Homer …. “the lesson is .. never try”

3 Comments:

Blogger The Book Grocer said...

You sound like a man in desperate need of a beer garden...

7:16 PM  
Blogger scaryasakitten said...

Mayhaps one should wend one's way down Mexico way? You can still smoke in pubs there yes?

9:07 PM  
Blogger The Book Grocer said...

I think it's on the way out. You'd better hurry!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home